Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Notecard Piece



Sometimes it is a good thing to limit the amount of space and words your use in a story. I used a 3x5 notecard to write a story and I'm going to share it with you. Using the small space helps the writer to put the most important information down and to leave the fluff behind.

Here is my notecard story, I hope you enjoy it... (maybe not the content but the writing)

Waste by Vanessa Scott
     I woke up on the bathroom floor; the tears still fresh on my cheeks, the smell of blood and vomit still lingering in the air. I got myself up slowly, using the sink to steady myself. After regaining what felt like balance I stepped into the shower, fully clothed, and turned on the scalding hot water.
     I wanted to burn the previous night off of my skin. After a few moments I yanked off my soaked clothes and tossed them over the shower curtain. Even with the hot water I got chills. I scrubbed and dug into my skin without looking down, I didn’t want nor did I need to see the damage. I didn’t need a visual reminder of the pain and embarrassment. I tried hard not to think about the previous night, but I couldn’t help myself.
     “What a waste, what a fucking waste, I’m never going to get clean,” I whispered to myself and to the water that wouldn’t erase anything. I slammed the faucet off and got out of the shower. As I reached for the towel on the rack I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I didn’t recognize the person looking back at me. The weird shade of purple on the apple of her cheek and the haunted eyes, I looked broken. I was broken. I stepped toward the mirror and without a second thought I punched it. As the glass shattered and fell to the floor, so did I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment