Tuesday, February 18, 2020

#AuthorToolboxBlogHop: Staying Creative While Sick


Hello All!

Welcome back to the Author Toolbox Blog Hop! I missed last month because of the flu, which unfortunately means that I also missed out on quite a bit of writing. Seriously, those days of just laying around would have been fantastic for working on my story. I know there is a saying, “Write drunk, edit sober,’ but I’m not sure it applies to the delirium of the flu. Let’s just say my story would have went from something supernatural based in reality to something no one would recognize. 

The flu is why this post is dedicated to the art of staying creative while dealing with illness.

  1. It is okay to take sick days. I know that typically writers have a routine and sticking to it is important. That being said, sometimes your body breaks down because you need a break from everything other than sleep. So, sleep and let your dreams spark a little inspiration for you.
  2. Keep a journal/notebook near you at all times. You know that sleep thing I was just talking about? Any dream you have might become inspiration for you story. If you happen to wake up and remember any of it, write it down in a bedside notebook. Honestly, I recommend keeping a notebook next to your bed for any dream inspiration that may happen. Some of my best ideas and lines of dialog came from my dreams.
  3. Too sick to write but can’t sleep? Try reading a book or binge watching something on Netflix/Hulu/Disney+. Stick with the genre or theme that aligns with your story. I think it helps to look at things that are similar because it gives you an idea of what works and what doesn’t. My story is about witches and watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has helped me see that it works to write witches in a non-traditional way.
  4. Last but not least, just rest. Don’t look for inspiration in dreams while you sleep. Binge watch a guilty pleasure that has absolutely nothing to do with your story. Read a book you’ve been wanting to to read but felt like you couldn’t while you were writing. But seriously, rest. We writers are human after all. You can always write once you are healthy.
Stay healthy fellow bloggers and see you next month!





To continue hopping through other great blogs in the monthly #AuthorToolboxBlogHop or to join, click here.


9 comments:

  1. I especially love tip number 3. I've definitely done that in the past, and this is a timely reminder for me, because I feel cramps coming on. TMI?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. The flu is a part of winter and seems to find us all at some point. I love the ideas of staying creative while ill. TY for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just rest sounds the best to me. I fall asleep way to often when I'm sick. A note pad might be handing if I had a fever dream though.

    Glad you're feeling better. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good ideas - thank you! Every little bit of creativity counts, and sometimes I've gotten some pretty wild ideas while in the haze of a fever or something. Wishing you good health and good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice. When you're sick, the priority is to get well, not writing. Thanks.
    JQ Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear! I popped in to see your March posting and found this! I hope this finds you feeling better. I usually spend my sick days snoozing and reading, but I'll try your idea of journaling the odd thoughts that pop up in dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wanna RITE with me Upstairs?
    We have eternity, dear.
    GBY

    ReplyDelete