Tuesday, September 19, 2017

#AuthorToolboxBlogHop: Writing By Hand


Have you ever found yourself staring at a screen and your brain goes as blank as the word document you have pulled up? Whenever I find myself stuck in this position I run though my usual writer's block prompts. Which one works the best?

For me, it's pulling out my journal and writing by hand. But why is it so effective?
  1. Writing the old fashioned way sparks creativity in a way that no computer screen ever can.
  2. It's hard to erase handwriting. Erasing is tedious. I know you could just throw away the notebook but I find that keeping "bad" writing/ideas is a great way to learn. Also, sometimes something you thought was bad, never really was.
  3. I find it easier to write with wild abandon than to type that way. When I type I constantly try to edit as I go. When I am writing by hand I don't feel that need.
  4. When using a computer, especially now that every computer has an internet connection, I am constantly distracted. Email, social media, Reddit, even these blogs all distract me. Writing by hand allows for less distraction.
So, next time you're hit with some writer's block, try writing the old fashioned.


To continue hopping through other great blogs in the monthly #AuthorToolboxBlogHop or to join, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment