Sometimes all you need is a little inspiration. These are writing prompts I have collected over the years from classes and friends. Most of the time the prompts are a couple sentences that help to get the creative vibes flowing your way. Some are just suggestions on how to start your story or an idea for a story. I hope these help!
1. A walk through the woods helps me relax and release some tension, the fact that I am dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant.
2. Write a story that starts with a word you pick out of the dictionary at random.
3. His/Her voice brings back memories of dark rooms and broken bones.
4. They sent me because I do not exist.
5. Write about a world where you can purchase bottled emotions.
6. When I said, "Whatever helps you sleep at night... I didn't mean this!"
7. At birth, everyone has the date they will die tattooed on their arms. You were supposed to die yesterday...
8. Write a scene that happens immediately after a tragedy, but never mention the tragedy.
9. I woke up to the sound of someone knocking on glass. I got up and looked out my window, there was no one outside. I heard the knocking again and turned around slowly. The knocking was coming from inside my mirror.
10. In all the time I have lived alone in this house, I swear I have closed more doors than I have opened.
11. "Hey, there is a picture of you sleeping on your phone," he said, handing me my phone. I looked at the picture, my heart dropping into my stomach. "I live alone," I whispered.
12. Write a story that takes place in 60 minutes.
13. This was the night I finally understood why people fear silence.
14. Thirty years ago, you convinced a killer not to murder you because you would "change the world". Now the killer has come back to check your progress.
15. They had been recruited when they were young and desperate.
16. Everyone is forced to wear a warning label, what does your label say?
17. Write an overly descriptive piece about your current surrounding.
18. Sooner or later, everyone leaves.
19. Listen to a song and write a short story about it.
20. "The stars are that way captain," he said, pointing at the empty sky.
I hope these help to give you all some inspiration and get your creative juices flowing!
In my next post I will have some pretty awesome visual prompts!