Sometimes being told you can write about what ever you want makes it difficult to write about anything. So, here are some writing prompts to help you on your NaNoWriMo journey:
- After accidentally killing the hero, you (or main protagonist) must embark on an adventure to complete his/her quest.
- Write a story about a hitman for the supernatural. Why do the supernatural need a hitman? Well, sometimes ghosts need revenge before they can rest in peace.
- Write about someone finding out that Earth is actually just an insane asylum for the Milky Way.
- Every 100 years the seven deadly sins meet up for a tournament, the tournament determines which sin will plague the human race until the next tournament comes around.
- Use the first line of your favorite nursery rhyme as the beginning a very dark narrative.
- Write a story, that as it ends, the main protagonist realizes that they were the villain all along.
- Write a story about a world where dreamcatchers have to be emptied of the nightmares they catch once a year. Who empties them and what does that person see?
- Write a story that takes lace immediately after a tragedy, but never once mention the tragedy. Let your readers discover it themselves.
- Write about a world in which heartbreak causes physical breaks and fissures to the earth's landscape, creating cracks in pavement and valleys. Write about the heartbreak that caused the Grand Canyon.
- Every full moon an extra hour is added at midnight and only a few people get to experience it, write about the witching hour, what happens and who gets to live it.
- Write a story the involves a countdown. Start with 10 and countdown to 1 or use time (10 hours until... 30 minutes until...)
- One day you (the main protagonist) notices a new key on your keychain, you have no idea what it unlocks, but you are determined to find out.
Tomorrow I will give you some visual prompts to further inspire you and help you with your NationalNovel Writing Month journey.